Stabilized giraffe bone
in addition to its dimensional qualities, this material is associated with the sympathetic Giraffe, with wild Africa… Faced with the decrease in the number of giraffes, it has entered the list of species to be protected. It is always possible to work with this material but there are certain rules that must be followed in order to help protect this majestic mammal.
The GIRAFE :
Giraffa cameloparlis. The Greeks believed that the giraffe resulted from the union of the camel "Camelus" and the leopard "Pardalis".
The Giraffe is endemic to the African continent, from Niger to Cameroon, to South Africa.
The bone plates, on the other hand, come only from carcasses found in parks and reserves in South Africa. Our supplier often tells about his first harvest in a park that raises white lions. How he had to arm women and children with guns, which protected him while they loaded bones in his 4x4. By stirring the carcasses…. a sweet aroma attracted the lions ... quite unhappy to see the remains of their dinner looted by a band of two-legged hyenas.
Giraffe bone has several advantages:
Its size - a femur measures 60/100 cm x 6/10 cm in diameter with a nice thickness.
- Its density.
- The parts that we offer are all stabilized in order to facilitate the work. As the pores are clogged, the material is no longer likely to get dirty on contact with a brush blackened by steel.
- The shade adds aesthetics.
- It’s an animal that has predators; we can therefore exploit its carcass.
- It’s an animal that has a strong sympathy capital. Maybe because we all have a childhood memory with a certain Sophie!
Giraffa camelopardalis is registered in appendix II of the convention of Washington since 03/10/2019 and in appendix B at the level of the European community. This results in a number of obligations for the sale of knives with giraffe bone handles.
- You must first make an inventory of the plates you hold (mounted or not) which were acquired before October 2019. It is a simple declarative document indicating for each piece, its date of acquisition justified by a invoice, scientific name and date of introduction to Europe. We indicate on our invoices and on the products all the necessary elements. This inventory signed by you must be communicated to your DREAL (Regional Directorate for the Environment, Planning and Housing).
For sale in France and in the European Union, your knife must be accompanied by a document which specifies: Giraffa camelopardalis, imported into the EU / France on the date of XX / XX / XX, specifying: "Species not annexed to the Washington Convention and to the intra-Community regulation on that date "
Or the import permit number.
These elements appear on our invoices and on each round.
For sale to another country outside the European Union: this is a re-export. A permit must be attached to the sales document. This can be obtained from your DREAL. The procedure is quite simple, just create your space on the CITES website: https://cites.application.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/
And let yourself be guided.
Small efforts with regard to the issue: the protection of a species. This procedure also reassures your customers.